At the beginning of each year, most people pledge their resolutions as getting into shape, eating healthier, being more active, etc. However, most neglect to realize improving their emotional well-being is a huge part of that process, as well. Our mental health affects how we think, feel, act, and perform in addition to how we handle daily stress factors, decisions, and interact with those around us.
Here are some tips on improving your emotional health and wellness:
- Emotions: Avoiding emotions is a common action for many of us. When you let your guard down, you’re able to focus and fully experience both your feelings and the situation. It enables understanding of why “this” hurts and allows you to explore how you can remedy the pain.
- Growth: Daily routines are helpful. However, it’s very easy to get stuck doing the same exact thing day-in and day-out, leading to depression. Challenging yourself to a new goal or risk-taking forces you out of your comfort zone and allows for personal growth. Approaching someone new, taking art classes, or trying a new cuisine for lunch not only adds interest to your day but adds spark to your soul.
- Live for today: Leave the past behind you and the future ahead of you. Dwelling on either of those will only cause anxiety. Be in tune with your thoughts. Where are your thoughts and feelings stemming from? Is this behavior necessary? If you can’t seem to shake the anxiety, consider seeing a therapist. You will gain some perspective from someone trained to understand depression and anxiety.
- Laugh- hard and often: Life can be overwhelming and we tend to take it way too seriously. As adults, we don’t laugh nearly enough. Remember, as a child, how everything was a delight? We all need to return to that outlook.
- Practice gratitude daily: Being aware of the positive things around you and expressing thanks can really contribute to your overall health and wellness. It encourages optimism and hope.
- Discover inspiration and be passionate: By participating in social activities which inspire you and enlighten you, you’re feeding your soul with joyous emotions.
- Get active: Regular physical activity will lower depression and anxiety. By channeling any negative emotion into fuel for physical activity, you’re releasing endorphins. Every small change makes an improvement to your health and wellness.
- Get rid of the worms in your apple cart: Omit alcohol, sugary foods and refined carbs, fried foods, and excessive caffeine. Try adding fish which is rich in Omega-3s, high-fat nuts, flaxseed, leafy greens, and fresh fruit (pineapple and blueberries are mood enhancers).
- Improve your surroundings: Put a mood-boosting live plant on your desk. Fill your home with positive scents and sounds. Consider a diffuser with mood-boosting essential oils. Play different kinds of music in the background, based on whatever soothes your current mood.
- Meditate and Massage: Make time each day to meditate. Grab a few quiet moments at the beginning and end of your day to allow your body and mind to sit quietly. Massage is an effective treatment for stress, muscular tension, and pain, enabling the body to relax and rejuvenate.
Everyone requires different ways to achieve balance for their health and wellness. These tips will hopefully get you started on the right path. Finding this balance can strengthen your immune system, relieve stress, motivate you and help alleviate physical and mental pain. The key is being consistent. It is your life, body, and spirit. You know what’s best. We’re here to help your staff as they discover the best ways to tend to their health and wellness.